Re: What tranpsort type in glfs_set_volfile_server() exactly mean ?

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Raghavendra Talur <rtalur@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Prasanna Kalever <pkalever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Team,

My understanding is that @transport argumet in
glfs_set_volfile_server() is meant for specifying transport used in
fetching volfile server,

Yes, @transport arg here is transport to use for fetching volfile.

IIRC which currently supports tcp and unix only...
Yes, this is correct too.

The doc here https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/api/src/glfs.h
+166 shows the rdma as well, which is something I cannot digest.
This is doc written with assumption that rdma would work too.

Can someone correct me ?

Have we ever supported volfile fetch over rdma ?

I think no. To test, you would have to set rdma as only transport option in glusterd.vol and see what happens in volfile fetch.

IMO, fetching volfile over rdma is an overkill and would not be required.
RDMA should be kept only for IO operations.

+1. Actually there is no point in having infiniband to fetch volfile as
* RDMA/infiniband is useful for large data transfer
* Even when using RDMA/infiniband, we use a tcp/ip socket for initial handshake (specifically an IPoIB stack) - RDMA connection manager (librdmacm). So, a tcp/ip based address or pathway is necessary even while using RDMA.

So, its a overkill to use RDMA for fetching volfiles.

We should just remove it from the docs.

Thanks,
Raghavendra Talur

Thanks,