performance issues Manoj found in EC testing

hi Xavi,
          Meet Manoj from performance team Redhat. He has been testing EC performance in his stretch clusters. He found some interesting things we would like to share with you.

1) When we perform multiple streams of big file writes(12 parallel dds I think) he found one thread to be always hot (99%CPU always). He was asking me if fuse_reader thread does any extra processing in EC compared to replicate. Initially I thought it would just lock and epoll threads will perform the encoding but later realized that once we have the lock and version details, next writes on the file would be encoded in the same thread that comes to EC. write-behind could play a role and make the writes come to EC in an epoll thread but we saw consistently there was just one thread that is hot. Not multiple threads. We will be able to confirm this in tomorrow's testing.

2) This is one more thing Raghavendra G found, that our current implementation of epoll doesn't let other epoll threads pick messages from a socket while one thread is processing one message from that socket. In EC's case that can be encoding of the write/decoding read. This will not let replies of operations on different files to be processed in parallel. He thinks this can be fixed for 3.9.

Manoj will be raising a bug to gather all his findings. I just wanted to introduce him and let you know the interesting things he is finding before you see the bug :-).
--
Pranith