Re: Changing DISTAF 'global_mode' variable name

On 21 June 2016 at 12:38, shwetha <spandura@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Distaf test framework currently uses a variable 'global_mode' which is for selecting the mode in which the tests runs.

When 'global_mode' is set to 'True' we run the tests with the config file configuration and ignores 'runs_on_volumes', 'runs_on_protocols'.

When 'global_mode' is set to 'False' we use the configs "runs_on_volumes" , "runs_on_protocols", reuse_setup as specified in the doc_string or run_on_all_vols /run_on_all_protocols/reuse_setup:true if doc_string not specified , to automatically loop through all the specified configs.

'global_mode' is not self-explanatory on what it does. Hence it would be a good idea to change the name to something more appropriate.

It can be changed to 'ignore_auto_configs'. When 'ignore_auto_configs' is 'True' we run the tests with config file configurations. When 'ignore_auto_configs' is set to 'False' we use the configs as specified in doc_string.

This is one option. If any one else has more appropriate name to use please do suggest.

Well, I am going to suggest the same thing which I suggested before... "Iterative_mode" or "iteration"

The rational is simple. The 'global_mode' (as it is today) does loop through the possible (and permitted) volume type + mount protocol. Or in other words, it executes each test by iterating though the gluster volume and mount types. So in my mind it makes sense to have the flag as iterative_mode.

Also this is exactly one part of distaf which makes it pretty much tied to glusterfs automation. Because of the iteration distaf does over gluster volume type and guster mount protocols when flag is unset. So setting this flag makes it gluster independent ( more or less, still not completely). So keeping that in mind, we can also call it "gluster_iterative_mode" or "gluster_iteration" as well.

Best Regards,
Vishwanath

Regards,
Shwetha