Re: Caching support in glusterfs

On 11/26/2015 03:35 PM, Avik Sil wrote:

On Tuesday 24 November 2015 09:58 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Avik Sil" <avik.sil@xxxxxxxx>
To: gluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:47:44 AM
Subject:  Caching support in glusterfs

While searching for caching support in glusterfs I stumbled upon this
link:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/caching

But I didn't get much info from it. What is plan ahead?

What aspects of caching support would you be interested in?

We'll be interested in client-side caching support. As Jeff mentioned,
can you please elaborate more on supporting caching in Ganesha and Samba?

As you may be aware of latest versions of NFS/SMB protocol have added the support for Delegation/Leases which shall guarantee certain semantics to their clients with respect to file sharing. Protocol clients thus are guaranteed cache consistency and can do aggressive data caching.

There is on-going effort to support such Leases on Gluster.

Apart from that, NFS-Ganesha server currently does attribute caching of the files and directories being accessed. I am not sure if there is any caching being done by SMB server. Request others to comment.

Thanks,
Soumya

Regards,
Avik
HGST E-mail Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer:
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
or legally privileged information of HGST and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete the e-mail in its entirety from your
system.