Logging framework in Gluter 4.0

Hi,

As almost all the components targeted for Gluster 4.0 have moved from design phase to implementation phase on some level or another, I feel it's time to get some consensus on the logging framework we are going to use. Are we going to stick with the message ID formatted logging framework in use today, or shall we move on to a better solution.

Some good to have features I would like to have in the logging framework are: 1. Specific distinction between logs of various transactions (or operations), that would make it a lot easier to make sense than looking at some serialized log dump 2. We often encounter issues, and then find ourselves wishing the process was running in debug mode so that we could have gotten some debug logs. If there is any solution that enables me tracability of the process's flow, without compromising the space constraints of the logs that would be great to have.

This is kind of an open floor question I am putting across to the community, with no specific solution in mind at this point in time, but a concern that we should rather decide on something sooner in the development cycle than later.

Regards,
Avra