Re: Introducing an eventing framework for GlusterFS through storaged

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Shyam <srangana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/31/2015 12:24 AM, Samikshan Bairagya wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been working on this project for the past few weeks that aims at
improving the eventing framework for GlusterFS through storaged [0][1].
Through a DBus API over the existing GlusterFS CLI, storaged could help
with better notifications for gluster events.

Is this a Linux only solution? What is the alternative for NetBSD? (a quick search for systemd/storaged on NetBSD yielded nothing of significance)

The plan:
=========

storaged exports objects implementing the respective interfaces for
Linux block devices, drives, RAID arrays, etc. on the DBus. More objects
implementing other interfaces can be exported through modules. The
"glusterfs" module in storaged will populate the DBus with GlusterFS
specific objects implementing the required interfaces. As an example,
the "iscsi" module in storaged adds DBus objects implementing the
org.storaged.Storaged.ISCSI.Session interface[2].

Once DBus objects are exported to the DBus for GlusterFS volumes and
bricks, implementing the respective interfaces, it would be convenient
for interested clients to receive event notifications through DBus
signals or method calls. This enables clients to get updates wrt changes
on the glusterfs side in real time over the existing logging framework.

Can you provide a sample list of events that the clients would be interested in, or Gluster would need to provide? I am curious to know the level of integration sought here based on the type of events that we intend to publish.

+1 , same here

Also to add, it would be good to provide the below :

1) A list of usecases where this will be used/ useful. It seems this can be helpful in openstack , but not fully clear to me, yet!

2) An example of how the client will use it and what it takes for the client to use/consume this interface ?

3) A mapping of gluster events (hooks or otherwise ?) and storaged / dbus events

4) For eg: We have tiering in gluster, is it possible for the client to know when a file was moved from hot to cold tier or vice versa using this interface, if not, what would it take to do so ? Something liek this, i would expect
in the response to #1 above.

thanx,
deepak