Re: openstack Cinder w/ GlusterFS performance using pblio workload generator tool

Forgot to put the pblio link!

[1]: https://github.com/pblcache/pblcache/wiki/Pblio

thanx,
deepak

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Deepak Shetty <dpkshetty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi List,
   I am working towards getting some performance number for openstack Cinder
when backed with GlusterFS as the storage backend. I am using pblio [1]
workload generator tool for the same.

In short, Pblio is a synthetic OLTP enterprise workload used to stress storage systems.
This benchmark will stress a storage system to determine the maximum number of IOPS it can manage
before having a mean response latency of 30 milliseconds or greater. More details
are available @ [1]

  Currently I just ran pblio in a mock setup, details of the setup are below.
More real-world setup numbers will come soon.

Setup:

    I have my host laptop, devstack AIO runs in a VM and inside that is my nova VM
(nested VM thus) where I am running pblio.

Nested VM runs F22. FWIW, my laptop has only SSDs so everything is SSD backed.

Screenshots:

[stack@devstack-f21 ~]$ [admin] ssh -i ./mykey.pem fedora@10.0.0.4 "lsblk"
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sr0     11:0    1  418K  0 rom
vda    252:0    0   20G  0 disk
└─vda1 252:1    0   20G  0 part /
vdb    252:16   0    3G  0 disk
vdc    252:32   0    3G  0 disk
vdd    252:48   0    1G  0 disk

* So vdb, vdc and vdd are the glusterfs backed block devices in my nova VM

Some of the pblio runs that I did ...

[root@vm1 pblio]# ./pblio -asu1=/dev/vdb -asu2=/dev/vdc -asu3=/dev/vdd -runlen=60 -bsu=2
-----
pblio
-----
Cache   : None
ASU1    : 3.00 GB
ASU2    : 3.00 GB
ASU3    : 0.67 GB
BSUs    : 2
Contexts: 1
Run time: 60 s
-----
Avg IOPS:100.57  Avg Latency:0.8021 ms

[root@vm1 pblio]# ./pblio -asu1=/dev/vdb -asu2=/dev/vdc -asu3=/dev/vdd -runlen=600 -bsu=60
-----
pblio
-----
Cache   : None
ASU1    : 3.00 GB
ASU2    : 3.00 GB
ASU3    : 0.67 GB
BSUs    : 60
Contexts: 1
Run time: 600 s
-----
Avg IOPS:3000.48  Avg Latency:6.1536 ms

[root@vm1 pblio]# ./pblio -asu1=/dev/vdb -asu2=/dev/vdc -asu3=/dev/vdd -runlen=600 -bsu=100
-----
pblio
-----
Cache   : None
ASU1    : 3.00 GB
ASU2    : 3.00 GB
ASU3    : 0.67 GB
BSUs    : 100
Contexts: 1
Run time: 600 s
-----
Avg IOPS:4831.87  Avg Latency:33.9057 ms

* So somewhere close (on the lesser side) to (100 * 50) is the max IOPS for this setup, given the above data

This is very very draft/mock run, no where close to real world setup
I wanted to share this with the broader audience, comments welcome.

More updates will come, once I run these tests on a larger close-to-real-world setup.

thanx,
deepak