Re: Lease-lock Design notes

Hi,

I have some questions or gaps in understanding the current lease design, request some clarification on the same.

1) Is there a notion of a *gluster* client holding a lease on a file/dir?
- As per your Barcelona gluster summit presentation the client side caching needs this notion - DHT/EC/AFR can leverage such a lease to prevent eager or any form of locking when attempting to hold consistency of data being operated on - Please note that this requires not each xlator requesting and holding the lease, but a *gluster* client holding the lease, assuming that one can do local in memory locking to prevent different fd/connection/applications performing operations on the same file against the *same* gluster client and not have to coordinate this with the brick

I see some references to this in the design but wanted to understand if the thought is there.

IOW, if an NFS client requests a lease, Ganesha requests the lease from Gluster, in which case the gfapi client that requested the lease first gets the lease, and then re-leases it to Ganesha, now Ganesha is free to lease it to any client on its behalf and recall leases etc. as the case may be and the gluster client does not care. When another gluster client (due to Ganesha or otherwise (say self heal or rebalance)) attempts to get a lease, that is when the lease is broken all across.

Is my understanding right, is the design along these lines?

2) Why is the lease not piggy backed with the open? Why 2 network FOPs instead of 1 in this case? How can we compound this lease with other requests? Or do you have thoughts around the same?

Isn't NFS and SMB requesting leases with its open calls

3) If there were discussions around some designs that were rejected, could you also update the document with the same, so the one can understand the motivation behind the current manner of implementing leases.

Thanks,
Shyam