Re: Brick path used for gluster shared storage volume

On 07/05/2015 02:24 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 10:16:06AM +0530, Avra Sengupta wrote:
Hi,

Today with with enabling volume set option cluster.enable-shared-storage, we
create a shared storage volume called gluster_shared_storage for the user,
and mount it on all the nodes in the cluster. Currently this volume is used
for features like nfs-ganesha, snapshot scheduler and geo-replication to
save some internal data required by these features. The brick path we use to
create this shared storage is /var/run/gluster/ss_brick.

The problem with using this brick path is /var/run/gluster is a tmpfs and
all the brick/shared storage data will be wiped off when the node restarts.
Hence I propose using /var/lib/glusterd/ss_brick as the brick path for
shared storage volume as this brick and the shared storage volume is
internally created by us (albeit on user's request), and contains only
internal state data and no user data.
/var/run/ is not a tmpfs on EL6 and before, but it is cleaned out on
boot. /var/run/ or /run/ on recent Fedora and EL7 is really only valid
for the current boot.

We are also aware that admins sometime take backup of /var/lib/glusterd to
save the current state of gluster. Again this shouldn't be an issue as the
data contained in these bricks is only internal state data and is very
minimal.

Please let me know if there are any issues or concerns with using
/var/lib/glusterd/ss_brick as the brick path for the shared storage, and
also suggest an alternate brick path.
Yes, /var/lib/glusterd/ss_brick/ is much more suitable. Please check
what is a common path for NetBSD and others, I think they use /var/db/
for these kind of things. The already used #defines and autoconf/make
variables should just apply.
I think as u mentioned in the upstream patch for this(http://review.gluster.org/#/c/11533/), using GLUSTERD_WORKDIR should take care of NetBSD too...

If the shared volume gets mounted, (/var)/run/gluster/state/ is
suitable. There is no need to have the glusterfs-fuse mountpoint under
/var/lib/, (/var)/run/ is more appropriate.
We don't mount the shared volume under /var/lib. It's just the brick. The shared vol will be mounted under /var/run/gluster/shared_storage.

Thanks,
Niels