Re: using GlusterFS to build an NFSv4.1 pNFS server

Hi Rick,

There is already support for pNFS in gluster volumes using nfs-ganesha : http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Features/mount_gluster_volume_using_pnfs/
It supports normal FILE_LAYOUT architecture.
Other comments are inline

On 02/06/15 05:18, Rick Macklem wrote:
Hi,

Btw, I do most of the FreeBSD NFSv4 work.
I am interested in trying to use GlusterFS
to build a FreeBSD NFSv4.1 pNFS server.
My hope is that, by directing the NFSv4.1 client
to the host where the file resides, the client will
be able to do I/O on it efficiently via the NFSv3
server. (The new layout type called flex files allows
an NFSv3 server to be a storage/data server for pNFS.)

It will be good to use gluster-nfs as a data-server(which is more tightly coupled with bricks)
CCing Anand who has better idea about flex file layout architecture

To do this, I need to be able to "poke" the
glusterfs server and get the following information:
- The NFSv3 file handle and the IP address for
   the host(s) the file lives on.
   --> Using this, I am planning on creating a layout
       that tells the NFSv4.1 client to use NFSv3 to
       do I/O on the file. (What NFSv4.1 calls a storage
       server, although some RFCs might call it a data
       server.)
- I hope to use the fuse interface for the NFSv4.1 metadata
   server.

I don't know how much it is feasible to implement meta data server using a fuse interface.

If anyone can point me to the area in the GlusterFS sources
that I should look at to do this and/or suggest a machanism
for getting the above information out of the GlusterFS server,
please let me know.

Also, any comments w.r.t. the above plan are welcome.

In my opinion, a hybrid approach will better. Use the current meta data server implemented in ganesha (support for flex files is already added in ganesha) and might need to have some tweaks in write, read, commit api's of gluster-nfs. In this implementation, we should keep away meta-data-server from
trusted storage pool(T.S.P) i.e a dedicated server is required for M.D.S

Thanks in advance for any information, rick
ps: I haven't written any code yet, but I think the above
     might be feasible.

You are mostly welcome in coding part :).

If you face any issue to implement current pNFS server for gluster volumes , please feel free to enquire about the same.

Regards,
Jiffin