Re: 4.0 ideas

On 05/08/2015 04:28 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 02:15:20PM -0400, Jeff Darcy wrote:
Last week, those of us who were together in Bangalore had a meeting to
discuss the GlusterFS 4.0 plan.  Once we'd covered what's already in
the plan[1] we had a very productive brainstorming session on what else
we might want to consider adding.  Here are some of my notes, in no
particular order, for discussion either here on the list or in person at
the upcoming Barcelona summit.

* FTP or STFP (sshfs) client using GFAPI
   I've proposed this as a potential intern project.

Good idea :D It happens that I suggested this addition for lftp too
already (for the C++ lovers):

     http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/lftp

There are some other features that should land in 4.0, or possibly even
earlier. I'll add them here for awareness, once we start looking into
more details about them, we'll send notes to the mailinglists.

* Kerberos support for the GlusterFS protocols
   Clients and servers will become able to authenticate eachother through
   their Kerberos TGTs. Encryption of the network transport will also be
   an option. This would look very much like Kerberized NFS.

+1
This can be helpful when we do things in DHT2 where the pseudo meta data servers authorize access on behalf of clients to the data nodes.

* Rich Access Control Lists
   POSIX ACLs are too limited for certain access protocols. NFSv4 and SMB
   are the main drivers to get support for richacls on the bricks and
   through libgfapi. Once NFS-Ganesha, Samba and Gluster prove that
   richacls fulfill their promise, it will become easier to convince the
   Linux kernel people to implement/accept patches for richacls too.

Niels

[1] http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Planning40