Re: mandatory lock

Or use an rsync style .filename.rand tempfile, write the new version of the file, and rename that to filename.

On Thu Jan 08 2015 at 12:21:18 PM Anand Avati <avati@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ideally you want the clients to coordinate among themselves. Note that this feature cannot be implemented foolproof (theoretically) in a system that supports NFSv3.

On Thu Jan 08 2015 at 8:57:48 AM Harmeet Kalsi <kharmeet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Anand, that was spot on. Any idea if there will be development on this side in near future as multiple clients writing to the same file can cause issues.

Regards

From: avati@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 16:07:50 +0000

Subject: Re: mandatory lock

Note that the mandatory locks available in the locks translator is just the mandatory extensions for posix locks - at least one of the apps must be using locks to begin with. What Harmeet is asking for is something different - automatic exclusive access to edit files. i.e, if one app has opened a file for editing, other apps which attempt an open must either fail (EBUSY) or block till the first app closes. We need to treat open(O_RDONLY) as a read lock and open(O_RDWR|O_WRONLY) as a write lock request (essentially an auto applied oplock). This is something gluster does not yet have.

Thanks