Re: BitRot design document

It would be good to add few usecases to the document for completeness. I would say add usecases first, then the design should follow so that its a good logical flow for the reader.

Few that i can think of:

1) Archival/Compliance usecase

2) Openstack cinder usecase - GlusterFS can act as a backup target for Cinder where we can have the bitrot functionality enabled, can help act as a differentiator and attraction for using glusterfs as a backup target

3) Gluster health usecase - BitRot can potentially act as *one* of the indicators for the health of gluster volume, which can pave way for 'gluster health status' kind of a new command. See "BitRot Notes" thread for more info on gluster health cmd i proposed

    It would also be good to add high level steps a storage admin has to take to enable BitRot, what he/she should do when an error gets reported by BitRot, how to check for errors etc. Visualising this would help the interface/CLI effort and also gives a better picture for mgmt applns (eg: openstack) on what it needs to do (since it would try to automate/orchestrate what otherwise admin would have done)

Also, could you provide some high level view of how the CLIs for BitRot would look like ? That would help me map to the cinder usecase ( see (2) above )

thanx,
deepak