Re: BitRot notes

I wanted to put this idea for the larger community to discuss/debate

How about an on-demand scrubbing feature where I can provide a list of files or dir and BitRot can scan/scrub it for corruption.
Again, this will be implemented just as another policy, which can be set/unset by the user/admin

I see some usecases for this:

1) In openstack when using GlusterFS backend for Cinder, i know that my cinder volumes are un-used when not attached to VMs, in which case I can request for on-demand scan/scrub for my volume disks (which are files in Gluster), the result of which can be used to warn user if some corruption is present and/or can be used as an indicator to decide whether or not to pick the volume for attaching next time.

2) GlusterFS as a backup target for Cinder -  I can schedule an on-demand/immediate scan/scrub for the cinder volumes that i just backed up to ensure that the backup indeed went good (all the way to the disk level) and accordingly return the status of backup operation back to openstack services.

Thoughts ?

thanx,
deepak