Re: Languages (was Re: Proposal for GlusterD-2.0)

I think the real question is, Why do we depend on core files? What does it provide? If we rethink how we may do debugging, we may realize that we only require core files because we are used to it and it is familiar to us. Now, I am not saying that core files are not useful, but I am saying that we may be able to do most of the necessary debugging by other means.

For example, debugging systems running OpenStack Swift which uses Python stack traces has been much easier than analyzing C core files. Just my experience.

I would not say that because Go, Java, Ruby, or Python do not create core files, that it would be hard to debug. Instead we need to learn new ways of debugging. Just my $0.02 :-)

- Luis