Re: GlusterFS with NFS-Ganesha Compilation

Hi Samuthira,

you can refer to few below presentations/posts on GlusterFS architecture and libgfapi -

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/File:GlusterFS_Architecture_%26_Roadmap-Vijay_Bellur-LinuxCon_EU_2013.pdf

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/File:Developing_Apps_and_Integrating_with_GlusterFS_-_Libgfapi.odp

http://humblec.com/libgfapi-interface-glusterfs/

In short -
GlusterFS is a modular and stackable architecture. It has server stack running on each of the volume bricks processes' and the client stack loaded in the client applications. The communication between server and client processes is done via RPC.

So in this case, libgfapi is the module provided by GlusterFS which is loaded in the client application's (i.e, nfs-ganesha's) userspace when started and responsible for establishing rpc connections/communicating with Gluster management and server processes.

Yes. If using libgfapi, FUSE is not required.

I am not sure about how SDFS is designed. Atleast I do not see any reason why ganesha cannot be plugged to any of the filesystems. You may just need to mainly work on a library (like libgfapi.so) which when put in appropriate location, ganesha can load that module and in turn can communicate with your filesystem. For any queries on how to plug-in that module for ganesha to use, please mail to "nfs-ganesha-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

CCin the gluster mailing list who can help you out with the libgfapi design queries you may have.

Thanks,
Soumya