Re: Better organization for code documentation [Was: Developer Documentation for datastructures in gluster]

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Kaushal M <kshlmster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey everyone,

While I was writing the documentation for the options framework, I
thought up of a way to better organize the code documentation we are
creating now. I've posted a patch for review that implements this
organization. [1]

Copying the description from the patch I've posted for review,
```
A new directory hierarchy has been created in doc/code for the code
documentation, which follows the general GlusterFS source hierarchy.
Each GlusterFS module has an entry in this tree. The source directory of
every GlusterFS module has a symlink, 'doc', to its corresponding
directory in the doc/code tree.

Taking glusterd for example. With this scheme, there will be
doc/code/xlators/mgmg/glusterd directory which will contain the relevant
documentation to glusterd. This directory will be symlinked to
xlators/mgmt/glusterd/src/doc .

This organization should allow for easy reference by developers when
developing on GlusterFS and also allow for easy hosting of the documents
when we set it up.
```

I haven't read the previous thread, but having doc dir co-exist with src in each module would encourage (or at least remind) keeping doc updated along with src changes.  Generally recommended not to store symlinks in the source repo (though git supports it I think). You could create symlinks from top level doc/code to per module (or vice versa) in autogen.sh.

Thanks