gluster volume file

Hi,
I am experimenting with some custom translators. To test them I manually edit the volume file to load my  translators. It looks like gluster is aggressively maintaining the consistency of the original volume file and overwrites my changes every time I restart the volume. How do I configure gluster not to over write my changes?

Another question is how do I configure gluster to recognize my translators. I looked at the code and gluster assumes lots of knowledge about existing translators. How does gluster support third party translators without modifying gluster code.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

--
Muralidhar Balcha