Upgrade planning

I am considering building several clients which will potentially each mount shares from different servers.  Are there any organizational steps that I can take to plan for potentially non uniform server upgrades and incompatible glusterfs protocols?

In other words, suppose I have client foo which mounts two shares, one from server A and one from B.  These shares are not connected in any way, they will simply get mounted each on separate mount points.  The only thing shared is the client glusterfs executable that mounts them.  If servers A & B and client foo are on glusterfs version X, is there a way that I can upgrade server B to an incompatible (to version X) version Y and still be able to mount shares from A & B on client foo?

Thanks,

-Martin