Bug: Gimp 2.10.18 strips off many Exif-data from jpg-files when processing

I use GNU Image Manipulation Program Version 2.10.18 on Xubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (64 Bit).

I open an image from my camera PENTAX K5.

I look at *Image>Metadata>Show Meta Data>Tab Exif*.

I see a lot of technical data which don’t tell me very much, but I also see the camera model, autofocus settings, stop number, exposure correction, exposure time, stop number, ISO setting, focal length and other camera settings during the shot. Looking at the file with |gwenview|, I see there are some more Exif data, which are meaningful but not shown in Gimp, e.g. the Lens Type.

*W**hy does Gimp not show the **le**ns**type?*

After adjustingthe exposure or correctingthe color temperature or after saving the jpg file (under its old name) again, only Exif.Image.BitsPerSample, Exif.Image.ImageLenght, Exif.Image.ImageWidth, Exif.Image.ResolutionUnit, Exif.Image.Xresolution, Exif.Image.Yresolution and Exif.Image.ColorSpace are in the stored image. *Al**l others are cut off! *In Gwenview the whole set of Exif data is stripped off. *I consider this to be a **bug**.* Unless explicitly told to strip off metadata, Gimp should leave them untouched.

*Suggested further improvement:* Add a new category “Gimp Processing” telling about the image processing procedures applied, e.g. lighting adjustments and their parameters, color adjustment, cropping, and the like in readable form. For more complicated operations with many parameters, one could simply name the operation summarily, e.g. convolution with a filter matrix.

Kind regards

Adalbert Hanßen