Fwd: Making enabling dynamics a checkbox (Issue #4333)

Forgot to include the mailing list :(

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Asalle <asalle.kim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 17:18
Subject: Re:  Making enabling dynamics a checkbox (Issue
#4333)
To: <gwidion@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Joao and all,

I think it's a valid argument, even more so because Jehan and David Z were
discussing it some time ago. From what I can see they concluded on the
checkbox, among other reasons because this way you can assign a shortcut
(which is my initial reason for trying to get this done). See here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/6220#note_998836.

Best regards,
Asa

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 17:01, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe, instead of a redundant control to the already cluttered tool
> options,
> we could step back and try to get an easier way to find and select a
> desired
> dynamics (including the "Dynamics Off"). meanwhile, maybe just
> making it special so that it shows first on the dynamics list would
> be a nicer workaround than adding still another control there.
>
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 12:42, Asalle via gimp-developer-list <
> gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to gimp, so any advice is welcome. I'm attempting to
>> implement this feature request:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4333#note_1211607.
>> In short: instead of changing from e. g. "Basic dynamics" to "Dynamics
>> Off"
>> and vice versa, there should be just a checkbox that allows to turn the
>> dynamics off and on.
>>
>> So far I've implemented the checkbox and a "use-dynamics" property in
>> PaintOptions. But I'm not sure how to actually enable it when drawing. I'm
>> also not sure if I'm on the right path, so if you could nudge me in the
>> right direction, I would appreciate it!
>>
>> Here is my patch:
>>
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/Asalle/gimp/-/commit/1928d1edd71286ce7b185fbf24eda91aa5b504b3
>> .