Python Plug-In Module Import Problem

I'm currently developing multiple plug-ins for GIMP on version 2.10.18. I'm
trying to import the os module into my script. When I do so and run the
script within GIMP from its registered menu path, GIMP throws an error. I
noticed some built-in plug-ins are able to import os and the os site
package is part of the interpreter but I don't know what I need to do to
import os without fail. My plug-ins are located in the default writable
plug-ins directory. I've tried other module imports but the only one that
works is gimpfu. I'm using import os for os.listdir() and without this I
will not be able to complete some of these plug-ins.