Re: Does it pay to be Open-Source?

Hi Anthony!

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 19:47:29 +0000
Anthony Beaulé via gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello GIMP developers,
>
> One of the things I've been enjoying is trying to use less and less
> proprietary software, and I've been thinking of becoming a developer for
> quite some time now.
>
> I really love the passion and effort that's put in these projects, yours
> included, and I enjoy using them, but I can't say the same about creating my
> own Open-Source software; at least financially.
>
> I want to ask you people out of curiosity because this project has existed
> for almost 25 years, and still going strong! Thus, I assume that you
> developers would have a lot of experience working with at least this
> Open-Source project.
>
> So here goes:
> Question 1:
> What do I need to get started on making a project Open-Source? My guess is
> just my source code, a list of all the dependencies my program uses, and an
> account on a Git website (GitHub, or SourceForge are the two I know).

GitHub/etc. are called "forges" or software dev hubs:

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/software-tools/#all_in_one_proj_mgmt

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forge_%28software%29

Regarding best practices for software development see:

*
https://github.com/shlomif/Freenode-programming-channel-FAQ/blob/master/FAQ_with_ToC__generated.md#what-are-some-best-practices-in-programming-that-i-should-adopt

> Question 2:
> Can I still control or direct the program after I've posted it on a Git
> website? I don't mind other using my code for other projects, as long as I'm
> credited somewhere. I also don't mind it when people point-out flaws in my
> programs either, I or my team (if I have one) just want to be the one to fix
> it.

All free/open source licences gives one the right to fork:

* http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/ar01s08.html

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Free_Software_Definition

> Question 3:
> How do you make money off of Free software, and can you live off of it? I'm
> also wondering how money is split in large groups like yours. As much as I'd
> like to code Open-Source Software, I can't do it for free all the time as I'm
> on a tight budget.

See https://github.com/nayafia/lemonade-stand ("nayafia/lemonade-stand: A handy
guide to financial support for open source"). Note that it is not guaranteed
that you'll make a lot of money, but then again it is not guaranteed with
non-FOSS either:
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=joel-test-12-steps-better-code-2
and
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=the-old-shareware-and-the-android-apps
.

> Question 4:
> How can you get your program recognised? It's one thing to code a cool
> program, but if no one knows about it then it won't stand a chance. I'm
> guessing the best thing is just advertise it on social media like everything
> else nowadays.

Some people may also find it on search engines.

> In conclusion, I'd love to be more educated in this topic as being
> Open-Source is something that I find beautiful in a way, as even if a project
> withers it's truly never dead and can bloom again in someone else's project.
> I'd also love to make Open-Source projects, but I fear that it may be a waste
> of time financially.

Here is what I think of many "waste of time" arguments:
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html#waste-time . If it brings you joy, it is
not waste.

Anyway, here is a somewhat more cynical look at managing a FOSS project:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/44q1mb/what_have_we_learned_from_this_open_source_project/
. I have also written a tutorial for how to start contributing to FOSS:
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/open-source/how-to-start-contributing/tos-document.html

and there is this book as well:
http://teachingopensource.org/practical-oss-exploration/

Also see the other replies you have received too.

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE - Never Give Up!!

    — https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth