Re: Does it pay to be Open-Source?

On Sat, 2020-09-26 at 19:47 +0000, Anthony Beaulé via gimp-developer-
list wrote:

> Question 1:
> What do I need to get started on making a project Open-Source? My
> guess is just my source code, a list of all the dependencies my
> program uses, and an account on a Git website (GitHub, or SourceForge
> are the two I know).

Yes, more or less, and make sure  it builds, and is distributed with an
open licence, and that it doesn't depend on  anything proprietary.

gitlab.com is another git site.

> Question 2:
> Can I still control or direct the program after I've posted it on a
> Git website?

direct - yes. The more you try to exercise control, the less open it
will be, by definition.

> Question 3:
> How do you make money off of Free software, and can you live off of
> it?

GIMP has from the start been a volunteer project, in people's spare
time.

You need a business model. Some examples:

[1] use open source projects as a funnel to get other work, or to
enhance reputation. This tends to have limited success except in some
very niche areas - you have also to be solving some real needs with the
software.

[2] dual license, with a "pro" version that has more features. The free
version has to be usable as-is. This is probably the most effective,
but you need to take care to mantain people's trust - taking features
out of the free version and making htem paid will risk a hostile fork,
in which you lose control of the project.

There are many other possible strategies of course.

> Question 4:
> How can you get your program recognised? It's one thing to code a
> cool program, but if no one knows about it then it won't stand a
> chance. I'm guessing the best thing is just advertise it on social
> media like everything else nowadays.

Pretty much, and word of mouth from satisified users. In the beginning
it helps to have an SEO-friendly Web site.

Best,

Liam (slave ankh on IRC)

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/