Re: Offering help

Hello!

So you are a Windows developer, Vrok? If so, awesome, it's really needed!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:39 PM Alexandre Prokoudine via
gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Vrok!
>
> Our onboarding procedure could do with some improvement indeed :)
>
> I guess the first step would be building GIMP from source code. We
> typically do it n Linux with Mingw, but I know there's some work going
> on to try doing this with MSYS2. At least that's my impression from
> quick glances on our IRC channel.

Actually Wormnest (our current Windows dev boss!) says he builds from MSYS2
from Windows. The ones who cross-build from Linux are the Linux devs (like
myself!) who can't bother to set up a full development environment on
Windows. 😛

So yeah it should work with both methods.
Though building GIMP 2.10 natively from Windows is apparently a real pain
(because autotools are very slow natively on Windows), but master branch
with meson should be much easier. At least that's what I hear.

> As for actual development, we usually recommend accomplishing a simple
> task that really excites you, something you want to see fixed in GIMP.
> If all else fails, there's a 'Newcomers' label for issues that are
> simple enough to get started contributing:
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues?label_name%5B%5D=4.+Newcomers

Yes, the best is really if you find yourself issues you had with GIMP and
try to fix them. All current long-term GIMP developers started like this.
We encountered a bug and dealt with it. It can be something very basic. It
is much more enjoyable when you actually work for yourself than just for
the sake of it. 🙂

Also I would suggest to come and discuss on IRC (#gimp on irc.gimp.org).
This makes things more enjoyable for you than just dropping patches (at
least I think, personally).

Jehan

> Please don't hesitate asking questions :)
>
> Alex
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 1:26 PM Tan Vrok Fei via gimp-developer-list
> <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m Vrok, and I would like to help out with developing and introducing
> new features to GIMP. However, I don’t know where to start.
> >
> > Any guidance on where to begin is welcome. Thank you.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vrok
> >
> > Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10