Re: Fw: Suggestd enhancement

Replying to Adalbert now,

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 21:49:21 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Adalbert!
>
> Please reply to list next times, see:
>
> https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/netiquette/email/reply-to-list.html
>
> You sent this message in private and it was misclassified as spam (which may
> be my filters' fault).
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Shlomi
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 14:36:26 +0200
> From: Adalbert Hanßen <Adalbert.Hanssen@xxxxxx>
> To: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  Suggestd enhancement
>

> Shlomi,
>
> thank you for your answer. I encountered the problem with GIMP 2.8.22 which I
> preferred to use because GIMP 2.10 came as a snap installation and that did
> not cooperate with my delayed xfce4-screenshooter starter
>
> xfce4-screenshooter -fmd 7 -o gimp
>
> (unfortunately I use version 1.8.2 of xfce4-screenshooter which does not allow
> to set the output directory and the standard output directory /tmp is not
> available in the snap-installed GiIMP 2.10.)
>
> Now I realized that I can use the snap installed version of GIMP in parallel
> to the installed 2.8.22. Now put some text onto the clipboard and I realized
> that your observation is right. I do not have klipper installed on my
> computer. I got the message "die Zwischenablage enthält keine Bilddaten, die
> eingefügt werden können" (no image data on the clipboard).
>
> However this might have been not the right test since the older version does
> the same! You may be right, that
>
> xfce4-screenshooter -crm
>
> sometimes does not put an image onto the clipboard although I select a
> rectangular part of the screen. I'll come back to that when I have an example
> which does not work wit 2.8.22 but does with 1.10.20 (or does not work with
> that one).

Thanks! You may be able to find an updated /usr/bin/gimp in a distro upgrade.

> > The problem with greying out menu options is that often the user is unable
> > to tell why they are greyed out, and what to do to reenable them. So it
> > will be a usability issue. A note "no pastable image on the clipboard" on
> > the status bar would tell the reason. < Furthermore, GIMP will need to
> > query the clipboard before displaying the menu bar or menu which will
> > likely also be time consuming on your end.
>
> Of course one would have to enquire the type of stuff on the clipboard. But I
> think that will be much faster than what GIMP does. Apparently if you had an
> image on the clipboard and then copy some text to it, then GIMP still pastes
> the image. So the clipboard in Xubuntu seems to be a bit more complicated than
> I thought before. I don't know for sure what GIMP really does if the content
> of the clipboard is "no graphics object", like some text or some table or a
> pointer to an file which is not an image... Those who are prepared to debug
> GIMP might take a look what happens until GIMP finally throws in the towel
> because there is no graphics on the clipboard. I guess that's much more work
> until it finally throws and recovers from such an event and therefore my idea
> was that it is better to check that earlier. But perhaps just that already has
> happened between 2.8.22 and 2.10.20.

X.org has several clipboards - "primary", "secondary" - it's a bit of a mess:

see e,g:
https://metacpan.org/source/SHLOMIF/Clipboard-0.26/lib/Clipboard/Xclip.pm .

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Summerschool-at-the-NSA/

Chuck Norris round house kicks doors open instead of using their keys.
Summer Glau makes sure doors are open using her mind.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Summer-Glau/