Re: Gimp 3.0 advancement

Hi Massimo,

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 03:02:40 +0200
Massimo Fidanza via gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to contribute to the development, but I state that I know
> little of the C language, concretely in C I have exploited the code found
> on the internet to make the firmware of a pair of IoT relays that use the
> ESP8266. Instead I have experience with several languages including:
> Python, PHP, Pascal / Delphi, Java, Javascript, C #, PL / SQL (currently my
> daily bread). A few years ago I took a look at Go and now I'm interested in
> Rust.
> I took a look at the developer documentation
> https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Main_Page but it seems to me that many things
> are out of date. Give me a hint on what to start reading.

It is not surprising that the documentation has become out of date - from my
experience, even inline comments do:

* https://blog.codinghorror.com/learn-to-read-the-source-luke/

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=sharp-perlcafe-trusting-the-docs

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/software-management/perfect-workplace/perfect-it-workplace.xhtml#soft-eng-methods-to-avoid

You can try learning C from these resources:

*
https://github.com/EbookFoundation/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md#c

*
https://github.com/shlomif/Freenode-programming-channel-FAQ/blob/master/FAQ_with_ToC__generated.md#i-want-to-learn-programming-which-language-should-i-start-with

It shouldn't be too much of a problem for you given your experience.

> Il giorno dom 19 lug 2020 alle ore 04:55 Massimo Fidanza <malix0@xxxxxxxxx>
> ha scritto:
>
> > I built a docker image starting from a Ubuntu 20.04 and I have installed
> > all dependencies and compiled Babl, Gegl and Gimp from source, using Meson.
> > I have encountered the error
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5407, but I think that I
> > have found a solution. If you are interested I can share my image, but is
> > big 3.08GB
> >
> > Regards
> > Massimo
> >
> > Il giorno mer 15 lug 2020 alle ore 17:33 Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > ha scritto:

> >> There's a major question about existing plugins- obviously they won't
> >> work, so maybe we should have a rewriting plugins wiki or something,
> >> and try to get some of the most popular ones updated.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
> >>
> >> In 24/7 full-time voluntary servitude since 1998.

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Parody of "The Fountainhead" - https://shlom.in/towtf

It does not mean what I think it means, but it means what *you* think it
means.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html