Re: Regarding gimp.org website rewamp

Hi Rohan,

you should have replied-to-list per my request:

https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/netiquette/email/reply-to-list.html

That doesn't bode well.

On Fri, 1 May 2020 18:09:43 +0530
Rohan Keskar18 <rohankeskar89@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, If you use React.js a lot of code becomes reusable in the form of
> components, it provides seamless navigation, The site loads faster it has
> good performance, and you can even do server side rendering to make it even
> faster as your site does not have a lot of interactable components and yes
> it can work even though the user has disabled javascript, If we use server
> side rendering.

Apparently there are some React-based static site generators:

*
https://blog.bitsrc.io/9-react-static-site-generators-for-2019-f54a66e519d2?gi=63286d50bf79

Nevertheless, I believe one can extend or override Pelikan (which is what
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/gimp-web currently uses) in a similar
way using plugins/etc.: https://docs.getpelican.com/en/stable/plugins.html ,
and I find python a saner language than JavaScript.

Moreover, there is a case against too much abstraction / over-modularised code:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirection

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=linus-torvalds-about-indirections

* https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2002/11/11/the-law-of-leaky-abstractions/

* https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2002/12/11/lord-palmerston-on-programming/

Can you point to any concrete code smells (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_smell ) in the gimp websites' current
codebase, that can be made less severe by using react, and won't be easily
fixable using Pelikan?

Or is this just hypothetical?

If you wish to help GIMP, there are other ways:

https://www.gimp.org/develop/

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
My Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/

Chuck Norris was the 1,000,000,000th viewer of the Gangnam Style video on
YouTube. — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/