Image Contents Location in GIMP

Hi,
AFAIK, gimp has a lot of plugins, one of which loads the image to be
processed. For example, for jpeg images, we have file-jpeg (in
plug-ins/file-jpeg/jpeg-load.c). After the image is loaded, the process for
this plugin exits. The image seems to be loaded in the main gimp process.
Therefore, a means of IPC is needed.
What I want to know is, exactly where in the source code, this
communication takes place. It seems that gimp uses both pipes and shared
memories and the files contents are shared using the latter. I mean the
whole image might be loaded in a shared memory segment. Am I right?
Any help is appreciated and many thanks for all the assistance that I
received through this helpful mailing list.
Regards.