Re: small suggestion for consistency

Hi Marco.

Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list (gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37:12AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> > Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list (gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other
> > > menus like colors, tools, filters.
> >
> > Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?
>
> No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more
> levels at a time (see below).
>
> > Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with actions
> > affecting just one layer (the current one).
>
> Layer groups are made not of just one layer.
> Same as for a stack of layers.
[...]
> and layers deals with multiple layers in the image, in groups and in a stack.
>
> ... but this is just an observation and a suggestion ...

I might be missing something obvious, but when looking at the Layer-Menu
I can see one menu entry that affects all layers simultaneously:
Layer->Stack->Reverse Layer order.

All other entries are really quite specific to the currently selected
layer: either by moving it to some other position in the stack,
selecting a layer in a specific relation to the current layer, Change
the current layer size etc...

Granted, some of these implicitely affect the other layers in the stack,
but there always is the one designated layer that the operation is
defined by.

True, if the current layer is a layer group, these operations work on a
set of sub-layers, but that is more an effect of having currently
selected a layer group - the operations still work on the currently
selected item in the layer stack (and its child items).

It feels a little bit like bike shedding, but I still believe that
"Layer" is correct.

Bye,
        Simon
--