Re: how to build json-glib in a prefix when building gimp from git in a prefix?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 06:21:36PM -0400, Elle Stone wrote:
> On 09/29/2018 05:18 PM, Ken Moffat via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 03:23:24PM -0400, Elle Stone wrote:
> >
> > I don't know how OpenSUSE splits packages into sub-packages (-dev or
> > something for headers), but the upstream packages you will need are
> > meson, ninja, and python3.
>
> Well, on my main computer I run Gentoo. Failing to build json-glib on the
> upstairs computer (which runs OpenSUSE), I thought I'd try on my main
> computer, but I'm having the same problems.
>
> > For building meson in /usr, see
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/json-glib.html
> >
> > Note that is still on 1.4.2 which is probably older than what you
> > are going to build.
>
> I don't know what version json-glib from git is on. I cloned it as follows:
> git clone https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/json-glib But I'd be happy to
> download a specific tarball, if anyone knows what version of json-glib is
> currently required by GIMP.

I've no idea (I stick to releases) but looking at gimp's configure
script you will probably find a pkg-config test (always a bit
hit-and-miss, look for json-glib throughout the configure script,
until you find a test for pkg-config, then look for any variable it
uses such as json_glib_version or JSON_VERSION or whatever).

> > I don't think the _process_ of using meson has changed recently:
> > create a build directory, change to it, invoke meson with whatever
> > switches you need (a minimum of --prefix=) followed by .. to point
> > to where the meson files are.
>
> I've never built anything using meson before. So I don't know how it was
> done before or how it should be done now. I made a directory called "build"
> within the clonse json-glib folder and cd'ed to is, and then used this
> command to set the prefix:
>
> meson configure --prefix=$PREFIX

No, maybe I confused you.

meson --prefix=$PREFIX ..

Meson is what does the configuration, and from a build directory it
needs '..' to point to its files.

> Which resulted in this error:
>
> Meson configurator encountered an error:
>
> ERROR: Directory /hdd/data1/code-build/gimp299/build/json-glib/build does
> not seem to be a Meson build directory.
>
> > I have found it necessary to export LC_ALL with a UTF-8 value, e.g.
> > en_GB.UTF-8, if invoking meson from a script running under the C or
> > POSIX locales.
> >

> I don't know what you are talking about. I have my locale information set to
> UTF-8. I don't know what "script running under the C or POSIX locales"
> actually means - can you explain?

If you are already using UTF-8, as expected, then that is fine.

C and POSIX locales are the old-style "everything is ASCII"
variants.  Sometimes (particularly for building some old packages
which got confused by modern locales) I have used scripts which
included "LC_ALL=C".

> Please, having cd'ed to the "build" folder inside the json-glib folder,
> what's the next thing to type?

As above, just meson with --prefix=$PREFIX  and .. to poitn to the
meson files.
> Personally I don't care if I never build json-glib from source as the Gentoo
> version is plenty recent enough for building GIMP from git. But I'm trying
> to update my website article for people who *do* need to build json-glib
> from source.

[...]
> Gentoo uses "lib". OpenSUSE uses "lib64" or at least used to. Probably I
> should check to see what's currently being used on OpenSUSE. But right now
> I'm sitting at my Gentoo machine trying to do a test install of json-glib.

[...]
> On Gentoo I have dev-util/meson-0.46.1 and dev-util/ninja-1.8.2 installed
> from portage. And I have at least glib > 2.44 installed in the prefix. I
> also have gobject-introspection installed from portage.
>
> I don't think the problem is missing dependencies. I think the problem is
> that I just don't know what to type at the command line.

Yes.

> Why is json-glib even a requirement for running GIMP? glib-json is described
> on LFS as "The JSON GLib package is a library providing serialization and
> deserialization support for the JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) format
> described by RFC 4627. " -
>
> Why does GIMP need anything even remotely related to javascript to run? GIMP
> is an image editor.
>
> Best,
> Elle

The JSON format is popular in mnany places which have nothing to do with
javascript.  I assume they invented it so they got naming rights.

ĸen
--
                      Well grubbed , old mole!