Re: configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib >= 0.7.7

Hi!

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 8:04 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2018-07-24 06:04 AM, Jehan Pagès via gimp-developer-list wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>> For the record, I just checked current code and actual minimum dep
>> (relatively to the functions I use from this lib) would be 0.6.7.
>>
> [snip]
>
>> Also this is development code. It is expected to get bumpy.
>>

> The addition of appstream-glib has been the biggest bump to date. When
> dependencies get bumped I just download, compile, and install the new
> version of the dependency. That hasn't worked with appsteram-glib.
>
> This new dependency wants some support for RPM packages on a system that
> doesn't use RPM for package management. It also needed another dependency
> that I needed to compile but that needed yet another package. At that point
> I gave up trying to satisfy the need for appstream-glib.

RPM libs and tools are available on most (if not all) distributions that I
know of, even when based on other package systems (like .deb packages). :-)
This being said, in appstream-glib, RPM support is an option. I'm not sure
what it is used for, but I doubt we use anything related to this in GIMP.
You should not try to make featureful builds of dependencies at the first
attempt.

> What is appstream-glib and how is it going to be used in GIMP?

This is a lib to process the AppStream metadata format. This is used for
the new extension management system. I don't think that anyone will be ok
to have builds without this feature, when it will be released, considering
how important it will be, hence that's not an option. :-)

Note that I use the future because even though current dev code use this
already, this will show its importance in more code to come. But it still
has to be non-optional dep because we are no going to make our lives more
difficult just for the sake of it.

I remind (just in case!) that master code is for development. It is
certainly not advised for daily use, in particular. And we are not going to
develop with outdated versions of libraries for instance (unless you want
to see features be released with completely outdated code). So yes, we use
recent versions (while still being reasonnable, hence the famous "at least
available in Debian Testing" rule). A developer is expected to run such a
modern OS for developer, not a LTS or other old distributions for "stable"
systems.

Then there is the question of Windows or macOS. We hope we can help these
libraries to become cross-platform soon (same as we helped libmypaint to be
easily cross-compiled, as well as GExiv2, and many others… wasn't there
libheif also recently?). That's what we do all the time. And hopefully this
will happen again.
Now I am not saying it is impossible that we ever get back and use
something else if it turns out really too complicated a task. But we need
to at least try and go this way first. I currently see no reasons why it
would turn out impossible to improve the library to be more cross-platform,
as we did it for many others. That's what development is for.

Jehan

> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.
>
> http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
> https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
>                                     | that's why we're powerful"
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
> #include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot