Re: GIMP branched: new stable branch gimp-2-10

Hi!

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Kristian Rietveld <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > On 22 May 2018, at 16:01, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > There is another issue which was raised these days by GTK+ developers who
> > discussed GIMP port: apparently GTK+3.99 (to become GTK+4) has currently
> no
> > macOS backend! Basically that means we'd lose GIMP on macOS. And worse,
> > they have (nearly or none at all?) no developers working on this, so it's
> > not even sure when or if it will come.
>
> The macOS backend been fully removed in 3.99??

I have no idea. Has it been removed? Is it still here but just completely
broken and waiting to be fixed?
Or simply so untested that none really knows?

For information, I am referring to this discussion:
https://twitter.com/acruiz/status/998552715654463489
As you can see, the first message is:

> Gtk4 doesn't have a Mac backend AFAIK and I'm not sure it's widely tested
on Windows
(by Alberto Ruiz)

> > Actually even GTK+3 macOS port is bad but at least there is something.
> The
> > Windows backend on GTK+3 is bad too (still according to GTK+ devs) but is
> > more tested than Windows backend.
>
> I worked on the GTK+3 macOS port in the early beginning of GTK+3. I don’t
> know how much work went into it after that, I did get the impression that
> it got commits and maintenance regularly.
>
> I wasn’t really looking forward to the GTK+3 port because of this and the
> fact that the entire backend appears to have been removed doesn’t really
> make it better :(  On the other hand, it should probably be much easier to
> port GTK+3/4 to macOS compared to GTK+2.

Don't take my word for it. I was just relaying what I understood from the
Twitter thread above, which may itself not be perfectly informed.
It seems clear that the macOS backend is not that maintained though, seeing
how various GTK+ devs are clearly stating this as a fact, but I actually
guess they would not just remove years of code just on a whim (I hope so).

Jehan

--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net