Re: gcc-7 vs gcc-6

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 09:41:41PM -0500, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ken Moffat via gimp-developer-list <
> gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > and

[...]
> > I have no idea.  Her post implies that both gcc-6 and gcc-7 versions
> > are on the same machine, which seems an uncommon approach (assuming
> > both are the same version and this isn't just to test for gcc
> > regressions).
> >
> > Same machine.  Same updated clone for years.
>
> I was also compiling with gimp with gcc-7 successfully before my couple of
> catastrophes, so I don't know why it would start to fail with the new os.
>
> I was confused because I read something about compiler problems on
> this list, but I wasn't having them.

Sure.

> ==multiple compilers installed==
> My software installer just announces that it is updating what it considers
> to be "gcc", copies that binary into the directory of its choice and simply
> ignores the previous gcc.  Compiler cruft!  When today started I had
> gcc-4 from the installer and gcc-7 which I installed with the "real"
> software.
> I was thinking about getting gcc-5 just so I would have a complete set.
>
> I am pretty sure that each new number of compiler is a new version,
> hence the number.

Nowadays, a new major version each year - and that tends to mean
changes in which version of the c++ standard it supports.

> I don't think I am the only person who has more than one version of gcc.
>
> carol

Certainly not, my point was that building a current package with two
different versions of the compiler is unusual : most people install
applications into /usr, a few prefer BSD-style /usr/local.  But to
have both versions available you need to go out of your way to
ensure that the first install is not overwritten by the second.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.