Re: Bug report in Levels control

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Ben Hutchinson <benhut1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Levels control (the dialog box you get with Ctrl+L) has a bug. When you
> select Value for the channel, it is supposed to have a histogram which is
> based on all of the color channels combined. However, this bug causes the
> Value channel for the histogram to only consider the green channel. The
> result is that when you select either Value or Green for the color channel,
> you get identical histograms. The levels sliders themselves work correctly.
> It's just the histogram that has the problem.

Early gimp (gimp-1.0.0 thru gimp-1.0.3 iirc) had some breakage on the red
channel.  You could start with a grayscale image, convert it to RGB and
using levels (at least, maybe other tools) change an image of blacks,
whites and grays to an image of reds.

Here is a tutorial that utilized this bug:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010107023700/http://at8.abo.fi:80/~mwikholm/com/gimp/tutor/glass/

I suspect that it has always been this way.

Let me know if you file a bug report about it.  This is just great!

carol