Re: missing babl fast path and lt-gimp-2.9 segfault

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 5:30 PM, richard brown <richardbenedict@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 06/08/17 21:20, Carol Spears wrote:
>

> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 1:49 PM, richard brown <richardbenedict@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> No-one?
>>

> Asking me?
>
> The babl fast path is probably not the problem, at least it is not a
> problem here.  Actually, I kind of like it because I can watch it to know
> where some of the other plug-ins are at in their progress.
>
> The last time I had a segfault like that, I was instructed to install gdb (
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/) because the regular stack trace is not
> so helpful.
>
> That has been a few years now, so maybe my advice is outdated.
>

> Thanks.  I tried it, and it doesn't like the "gimp-2.9" script that
> launches the program.
>
> "/home/richard/Software/gimp-git/gimp/app/gimp-2.9": not in executable
> format: File format not recognised
>
> gdb is going to want to be started from the command line.

It is weird to me that you are running this from the source file.  You
don't install into /usr/local or /opt or some such?  If you have been
building and using gimp from there for a long while, that would not be the
problem but I would have thought that this could cause problems, like gimp
finding the plug-ins it brings, etc.

Here is a how-to that doesn't mention anything I remember when I used gdb:
http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~sugih/pointers/summary.html

I remember using "bt"  something like 'gdb bt /path/to/binary/gimp-2.n'

If you could get a good output from that, perhaps you could file a bug
report and maybe the real hackers are there....

Carol