Re: Cubic Interpolation vs No Halo

On Wed, 2016-04-27 at 09:03 +0100, C R wrote:
> I assume the reasoning behind using cubic as the default for all the
> scale
> and transform tools is to cut back on the complaints of how slow GIMP
> is at
> the moment, but the quality loss in the current cubic interpolation
> algorithm is quite bad.

It depends on what you're doing - in some cases Cubic gives better
results. In addition nohalo and lohalo can take several minutes to
scale an image.

You can change the default tool option in preferences/tool options.

> Also, it's probably safe to assume that if the user chooses an
> interpolation type in the tool, they are saying something about the
> quality of the results they are after vs speed. I think setting the
> value in one tool should set the value automatically in other tools,
> and treat it as a "global" value of sorts.

I'd rather see it moved out of tool options and into preferences with a
single setting in that case. In practice I fairly often copy a small
section of an image and experiment with a cobination of blur and
different downsizing algorithms. In addition, more upscaling options
would be good, maybe after 2.10 - waifu2x, if unencumbered, would be a
good candidate. So I think having the algorithm choice right there in
scale image makes experimentation easier, and helps people dscover the
option.

So maybe a preference to say the default would be good. And hey! there
is one :-)

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx>