Re: [Gimp-web] Gitlab as a replacement for registry.gimp.org

On 1 April 2016 at 18:14, Kasim Ahmic <kasim.ahmic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I personally am a huge supporter of redoing the registry, and I like the ideas you've proposed here. My only concern is one that was actually brought up by someone else a few months ago; registry integration within GIMP and the possibility of viruses.
>
> I don't quite remember who mentioned it, but they brought up that registry integration within GIMP itself could potentially open the doors to viruses unless a virus detection feature was built into GIMP as well. Now, I'm not entirely sure how true this is but I would like to hear a final say on this whether this is an actual issue or not.
>
> If it is an issue, what would be the best way to handle it? I'd imagine that building virus scanning within GIMP would take quite a long time and be pretty impractical. As such, I would suggest that we go with a self hosted solution so that we could incorporate a virus scanner on there to scan all the uploaded assets. Either that, or a hosted solution like GitLab that come with a virus scanning option along with it.
>
> Again, not sure how much of an issue this even is. Just a thought.

So - this would be one of the main  purposes of a "curation" -
Only non-malicious assets would be made available as "safe" from the
server-side.
Having security features on the client side (i.e. on the computer of
the person running GIMP), is
not feasible: one single line of code in a rogue plug-in can wipe the
user harddrive.
. Assuring assets are safe, even if few, and can't be maliciously
modified, in the repository is hard enough -
but can be done.

The hard-to-balance thing is allowing publication of assets by a large
amount of people, and having process/volunteers
to ensure these assets are safe. Either way, I think the download and
install should be done with a few clicks from wthin GIMP itself -
we don't have to burden users to locate the file in a browser,
download it, copy it to the right folder, set its file properties
if that is not needed. If the assets represent a danger, they will
represent an equal danger in this "manual way".