Re: Export instead save directly

> Am 01.03.2016 um 15:05 schrieb C R <cajhne@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> If Save intelligently determines the file format that is most likely to be
> used to save, Export should not be necessary. Just "Save" and "Save As"
> would suffice.

That's nearly exactly what I did with my patched version on http://gimp.lisanet.de
I even made this a configurable option in the Preferences dialog.
So, if one is interested, have a look at my patches.

> We could use the "multi layer" & "layer outside layer boundaries"

I'm currently testing only for 'multiple layers' but it's quite easy to add other tests.

> convention to suggest that the user save to xcf, as normal to preserve what
> they are seeing in the editor. The workflow would just involve flattening
> the image (which also gets rid of alpha) first before saving to make the
> Save default to the imported file format as a save suggestion. This has the
> advantage of being intuitive and changeable merely by typing the required
> file extension. For my various workflows, 99 times out of 100, it would not
> be necessary to change anything.

That was the reason why I did it. And I got a lot of positive feedback from users of my package.