Re: Portable development environment for GIMP

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 22:48:39 +0200 Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually not all core devs. Over time, I have built GIMP on Mageia,
> Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu), and now Fedora. Though it is true that
> at times, I happened sometimes to be forced to build more dependencies
> than just babl and GEGL on Mageia or Mint, I believe my only built
> dependencies on Fedora 22 are babl and GEGL (and Fedora 23 is out very
> soon, I heard). I even see that there are babl 0.1.12 and GEGL 0.3
> available in official Fedora repo, allowing to even build GIMP alone
> if you want to.

Yes, same versions of gegl and bal are in Mageia 5 too, although I build them from git anyway.

The difficulties of using Debian Testing are likely to outweigh any benefits, plus anyone working closely with git gimp is likely to want to test fixes to babl and/or gegl as they happen.

Liam