Re: Status Update on Redesign

> > I love these ideas. I'm wondering if they wouldn't all fit better on a
> new
> > page of some sort that can highlight results from the community. I have
> > mostly been focusing on translating the old site first and foremost, and
> > enhance the site with pages as everyone agrees it might be fun to do. We
> > may have to put a section on the front page ("Community" maybe?) that
> will
> > link to a page of submitted, high quality content.

Yah this would be a good idea. I know that Inkscape, Mypaint, Krita,
Blender, and even Alchemy has a page that shows off what their software can
do. We had a discussion not too long ago about dethroning Photoshop and
something one of the guys mentioned that he does to get people to use it is
to show them a animated gif of what GIMP can do.  He said that once people
see that GIMP can do a lot of what Photoshop can they actually give GIMP a
try.  It would be nice to see some photo manipulation as well as digital
painting on the site.

> >> + "Interviews" -- with people the is using GIMP as professional tool
> >> (photographers, painters, illustrators, designers, schools, cases,
> >> print-services, universities, etc.);

This reminds me of the GIMP magazine. I think that the magazine although I
don't think it is an official GIMP project should be showcased on the main
website.  This would give people who use GIMP a great resource and promote
the magazine.  Each issue could be presented letting people know about the
new release. They are up to like 12 now. They have a lot of interviews from
people who use GIMP every day.

> Please, please, please do this. after seeing other sites do this I can't
> stand when a site shows me every single OS option out there.
>

> Do you mean to do the auto-OS detection, or to not?

I meant pealse auto-OS detection. I think it looks much better for a site
to know what OS I am running and then show me the links I need.

> There are only two things I could suggest is that this site is not
> responsive and that is becoming a big thing right now.  don't know how much
> more work it would be to do that but it would be nice.
>
> The site is actually responsive. Try looking at it on a mobile screen,
> tablet, or simply resize your browser window. You'll see that the site and
> content will adapt to the screen size automatically (I'm particularly proud
> of the "High Quality Photo" section, where the text manages to wrap nicely
> around the photo subject). I haven't tested yet, but it should pass the
> Google mobile/responsive tests they are using to prioritize content in
> their searches now (another good reason for the redesign).

Ok I used google chrome's inspect element to re-size the window and it was
not responsive.  Looking at it on my phone I see that it is.

>  the second thing is (and I don't know if this is the second step after
> converting all pages to the new format) the site does not look like the old
> site.  It is immediately noticeable that this site has a new style and it
> does not look like the GIMP branding.
>
> This is intentional. I did borrow some colors from the old site, a couple
> of images, and Wilber of course, but otherwise I didn't see a benefit in
> following the old site too much. Other than Wilber and the occasional
> graphic, I didn't think there was a strong branding per se. With that being
> said, I will absolutely consider any elements that anyone thinks are
> important to branding, and find a way to get it integrated!

Whether we like it or not I think GIMP has a brand and people are used to
it. Brands can but I think keeping some of the old look would be good.

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live
with him.

<https://www.facebook.com/android272>
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/113439282950133616549/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-pullins/6a/2b3/366>