Re: wtf with the download?

On 05/08/2015 06:12 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2015 17:21:15 +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
>> On 05/08/2015 04:46 AM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>>
>>> To what end?  Is this to help GIMP users in some way
>>
>> It helps them to get download speeds that are reasonable, even if many
>> (or actually, the more) people download the files at a given time.
>
> Mirroring would help too.  There are plenty of services that provide
> that without messing with the content.

We do that. And the torrent files make use of the mirrors - they have
lots of web seeds each, so the client will download from many, if not
all, mirrors in parallel. Unless it finds other peers, of course.

The fact that a simple approach - just creating a torrent file with the
right settings and not having to setup anything on the server side -
allows for that was another contributing factor to consider the use of
Bittorrent.

And at the time we ran the initial checks, we were in a locked-down
university network (LGM 2014 at Leipzig university), and while the
Bittorrent ports themselves were blocked there, the web seed downloads
worked just fine, because they use HTTP.

--
Regards,
Michael