Re: Huge performance improvement idea

On 20 March 2015 at 13:43, Chandana Bandara <cbsoftware@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings from Chandana,

Hi Chandana -
welcome to this group.

Thank you for your suggestions.
In fact the workflow you suggest could be made explicitly possible in
the future as we move GIMP to
a non-destructive editing paradgim using GEGL

That will take a lot of time, however - as there is a huge lot of work
for such fundamental changes.

However, the good news is that the underlying image processing in GIMP
- GEGL - was conceived
to allow preview renderings - that would behave just like you suggest
(working on the
zoomed out part of an image as if it were a smaller image, for
example) - and just this week
Pippin sent an e-mail detailing how the final pieces are being put in
place so that this starts working.

So - it is not so simple, or explicit for the final users as you have
it in your e-mail, but it is basically the same idea -
just search the list developer list archives for a message from Øyvind
Kolås on March the 18th to see the details.

  js
 -><-