Re: Useability enhancement request: unified/expanded file export dialog

On 11 March 2015 at 18:05, Ofnuts <ofnuts@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/03/15 14:26, Elle Stone wrote:
>>

>> 3. Scaling upon export:
>>
>> When exporting an image for display on the web, the image usually needs to
>> be resized, and sometimes you might want to make some additional edits at
>> the reduced size before the final export. But not always. It would be
>> convenient to have the option to scale the image as part of the file export
>> dialog, leaving the GIMP XCF file at the original size.
>>

> For current Gimp there is the "Save for Web" plug-in that lets you
> crop/scale the image. However it's not uncommon to do a little bit of
> sharpening after a downscale, or maybe add some watermark... Better take the
> habit to use Image>Duplicate. This creates an "untitled" image to there is
> little risk to overwrite the original image with a scaled down version(*).
>
> (*) in the "belt-cum-suspenders" series, shouldn't Gimp issue a warning when
> saving an image if it detects that the image has been scaled down/cropped?
> This is another case of potential accidental loss of data. **ducks for
> cover**

IMO, the medium term solution for all export-workflow problems is to have
an in-gimp way to manipulate a set of transformations to be applied to an image
on export.

Thinking on an UI for this now is up to us - so, why not bring the idea
to the list?

Currently, actually most export plug-ins do perform a
image-duplicate, image-flatten (or merge visible layers) and save
the resulting layer. Indexed formats do a "image-duplicate,
image-flatten, image-convert-to-indexed" sequence.

Having this in an UI would allow one to have several presets like:
image duplicate, image-resize(max-width: N, preserve-aspect: True),
image-sharpen, image-flatten, image-convert-to-precision(8bpp),
gimp-pause-for-review, export-to-desired-file-format  )

That would allow presets for example, that could at once save for the
various icon-sizes needed for
icons in mobile projects bound to a single keystroke. (and having  a
could also give an option to the "I do only jpeg exports" shouters)