Re: Floyd-Steinberg/GIF color optimization

Hi Robert

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:04:14AM -0500, Robert Hanson wrote:
> http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/test/dither.htm .  The solution was to

This page seems to use JavaScript and WebGL, and so I'm not able to view
it. It would have been better if you had sent a link to static images of
the source and result.

> partition red, green, and blue channels into a 6 x 6 x 6 color space,
> allowing 216 colors in total. Not perfect, but amazingly good, I think.

So you are doing FS dithering with a fixed uniform palette?

> The problem comes when I have a small molecule with not too many colors. If
> I go just over 256, then the FS algorithm cuts this down to something like
> 64 colors. I'm wondering if I could get some advise as to how to optimize a
> set of colors down to 255 colors without undershooting in such a dramatic
> way while still using FS.

You are looking for color quantization methods. You can find description
of an octree method in Graphics Gems I. GIMP uses median cut.

See https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ph/ciq_thesis for Heckbert's thesis on
median cut.

		Mukund