Re: [Gegl-developer] babl roadmap

On 16 October 2014 21:37, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Elle Stone
> <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 10/15/2014 01:46 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
> > If I understand them correctly, Michael Henning and Jon Norby are saying
> > that the criteria is something along the lines of: "For RGB editing
> > operations, use UserRGB primaries *unless* there's a really, really good
> > reason why only sRGB primaries will work."
> >
> > Is there in fact general agreement among the devs that the criteria for
> > deciding when to use sRGB primaries instead of UserRGB primaries is
> > approximately as follows?
>
> Once we have the vocabulary to also describe this aspect of the
> pixelformats used by operations, the first thing we should do is to
> annotate all the operations which are broken when done with sRGB
> primaries, then we will be able to continue refactoring, profiling and
> optimizing; without breaking existing functionality/rendering. Not
> only in terms of making more operations request directly userRGB, but
> also doing things like make some linear operations accept any of
> userRGB or bablRGB (or other linear RGB); and creating output buffers
> in the same format – to avoid unnecessary conversions in such cases.
>
> Using a fixed linear RGB format instead of userRGB is what for some
> operations will provide the consistent results for the same property
> values / slider positions. Knowing which operations this is important
> for is easier to determine when we have code providing the vocabulary
> in babl. The further along on the roadmap, more of the road will have
> to be laid/determined as we walk it.

Hi pippin,
you are answering in detail 'how we will get "there"' but Elle (as I see
it) is asking more 'do you agree that we want to go "there"'. This leaves
me unsure if you are implicitly agreeing, if you disagree and have a
different "there" in mind, or if you think it is too early to decide this.

"There" being the goal that *eventually* in GEGL 'For RGB editing

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com