Re: [Gegl-developer] Don't make an architectural mistake based on a groundless premise

> Am 12.10.2014 um 12:46 schrieb Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx>:
>
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Elle Stone
> <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 08:52 PM, Jon Nordby wrote:
>> Please correct me if I misunderstood what you are saying. I think you are
>> saying:
>>
>> GIMP uses GTK+.
>>
>> GTK+ uses Cairo APIs for rendering to the screen.
>>
>> Cairo APIs assume 8-bit sRGB.
>>
>> Therefore in GTK+ applications such as GIMP, images must be converted to
>> sRGB before they can be displayed on the screen.
>

> Cairo is just one part of our eco-system which is following the
> guidelines of how to integrate with color management even if you do it
> badly; assume sRGB.

so that means, that specifying a monitor profile in GIMP’s preferences other than sRGB will result in displaying wrong colors. Or am I wrong?

I didn’t know that.

On systems with builtin desktop CM, like OS X, wouldn’t it be better to disable the choice of a monitor profile in GIMP at all, as long as cairo assumes SRGB?

Simone