Re: square feet & close up window

ws writes:
> 1 close up window
> To have a second window which tracks where the mouse is to see with pixel
> perfect accuracy where you position your curser to edit the picture in pixel
> perfection quickest. The standard way is to select where you want to edit,
> then zoom in, move the curser to edit with pixel precision, then zoom out.
> Which may seem like 3 steps but you have to also move and select the options
> which can make you loose time and your location. So anywhere the mouse goes
> the other window has at the center the mouse pointer fixed on it so that you
> see the big picture zoomed out on the main screen while the other window
> tracks close up where the mouse it.

I'm not completely sure I understand what you're asking for, but you
may want to check out View->New View. You get another window pointed
at the same file, and assuming you're not using single-window mode,
you can view both at the same time. Try using one view at 100% and
the other view at, say, 600%, so you can see each pixel as a big block.
You can see what pixel you're changing and at the same time, see what
the normal-sized image looks like. It's great for editing small icons.

> 2 square feet

When I google [[ gimp measure area ]], I get a lot of hits suggesting
that there are ways to do this already using the Histogram dialog.
If you wanted the conversion too, that would be relatively easy to
implement as a plug-in, and it looks like there are some available
already.

        ...Akkana