Re: About closing feature requests as invalid

As  for this detailed intended workflow: it looks like the best of all Worlds,
and is ok for me. Thankyou for all the effort you put on this.

On 21 April 2014 15:24, scl <scl.gplus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>
> From the three alternatives Bugzilla, IRC and mailing list a
> mailing list has the best visibility to the target audience
> and should in my opinion be preferred.
> Currently we use the GIMP developer mailing list but our users
> are likely not there, but rather on the GIMP users mailing list.
> At the end we write software for users and it's good practice
> in open source to listen to the users. On the other hand the
> developers are on the GIMP users list, too, so we catch them all.
> Therefore I'm for discussing new features on the GIMP users
> mailing list.
>
> Another point are feature requests that arrive at Peter's GUI
> brainstorm. I find the GUI brainstorm's intention a great idea that
> should be kept alive. In my opinion it could also be used to collect UI
> ideas for later features, but it should not be misunderstood as a
> letter box for feature requests.
>
> My proposal to handle feature requests:
>
> 1)
> a) A request is made in Bugzilla.
> If it is a duplicate: RESOLVED DUPLICATE.
> If it is a troll request, like to bring back the 2.6 save behaviour:
> RESOLVED-WONTFIX or RESOLVED-INVALID.
> If it is a valid feature request: UNCONFIRMED, forward discussion to
> the GIMP users mailing list. We set Platform:=all, Importance:=enhancement.
> If it is unclear whether it is a bug report or feature request:
> forward discussion to the GIMP users mailing listto clarify its
> character there.
>
> We reply in timely manner with a friendly stock answer. This is not
> meant to fob somebody off like an arrogant company but to ease our own
> work. Who likes to use own words is free to do so.
>
> b) A request is made to the GUI brainstorm:
> If it is a valid request, then Peter replies shortly and forwards the
> request to the mailing list. In the meantime the idea gets the tag 'New
> feature' on the brainstorm blog and can be referred from the mailing
> list post to clarify the idea.
>
> c) A request is made on a third party website, like Stackoverflow
> or a forum.
> If it is a valid request, then the present GIMP team member replies
> shortly and forwards the request to the mailing list.
>
> 2) The topic will be discussed on the GIMP users mailing list.
> Yet we should find a default action when no discussion comes up.
> Does it mean 'Yes' or 'No'?
>
> 3) When the discussion has finished we take the result in a timely
> manner to Bugzilla.
> If the request is accepted, then it goes into state 'NEW' and we
> add a short summary, links to the ML discussion and the UI brainstorm.
> If the request is rejected, we close the bug with WONTFIX.
> In both cases we add the Bugzilla link to the mailing list thread
> for future investigations.
>
> How do you people think about it?
>
> Joao, you mentioned some open requests on the mailing list
> that haven't made it into Bugzilla yet. Do you have them at
> hand so we can bring them to Bugzilla now?

No, not at hand - when I mentioned I was thinking of my thread on
"set of operations", which Peter described as a way to do "Macros",
I sentto the list 2-3 weeks prior to the LGM
(pause to search reference on the list archives - found:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gimp.devel/day=20140315)