Re: Two questions about updating GIMP from git

Hi Elle,

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:44:23 -0400
Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I update three separate copies of babl/gegl/gimp from git, each in a
> prefix, on average once a week.
>
> Other than reading the git logs, is there an easy way to check to see
> whether software requirements (png, tiff, glib, etc) have been bumped up?
>
> Also, I've been updating command by command in a virtual terminal and my
> computer isn't very fast. I'd like to write a script that executes all
> the commands all at once, but exits with an informative error message
> printed to screen as soon as something doesn't configure, compile, or
> install properly. Does anyone have such a script or know how to write one?

This should be doable with a script written in Shell, Perl 5, Python, Ruby,
etc. by inspecting the status exit code of the command.

E.g: in Bash:

if ! ./configure $PARAMS > configure.log 2>&1 ; then
	echo "Configure command failed"
	exit -1
fi

(Untested!)

There may be a ready made solution, but writing something quick yourself would
probably be less time consuming.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish